Tuesday 23 June 2020

Obaseki: Wike Pulls Out Of PDP Reconciliation Committee For Edo Guber Poll

Rivers State governor, Nyesom Wike, has pulled of the reconciliation committee set up to resolve the various camps in the Edo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party ahead of Thursday governorship primary of the party.

Wike also warned the national leadership of the party and governors to handle the crisis that would soon rock the party in the state with care, if not, it will snowball into more dangerous crises than what is happening in the All Progressives Congress (APC).

The governor announced his withdrawal from the reconciliation committee on Tuesday in Port Harcourt, the state capital.

He said he had decided to pull out of the committee following accusation that he was behind the court order allegedly restraining Governor Godwin Obaseki from participating in the party’s governorship primary slated for Thursday June 25 in Benin.

Wike accused some members of the PDP National Working Committee for allegedly acting like tax collectors and sycophants since the defection of Obaseki to the party.

He said, “I told them that in Edo State, we must handle the issue carefully and carry everybody along. They must respect human beings and not behave like tax collectors. They said because an order was obtained from a Federal High Court in Port Harcourt, then I am responsible.

“I have had sleepless nights to resolve the issue in Edo. The Governors of Edo, Adamawa, and Delta states know what I have done to resolve the issues. As a result of this senseless accusation, I have pulled out of Edo State settlement.

The Governor said his integrity matters most on the matter, adding that he has directed his lawyer to write a national daily on a publication allegedly made against him on Tuesday.

Wike said, “They (NWC) are tax collectors. Let them challenge me and I will come out with facts. Nobody will rubbish me by raising false accusations against me. I will fight back.”

“I am brought up not to accept injustice, and that is why I keep speaking out on national issues. Nobody in PDP can intimidate Rivers State.

“Nobody can threaten me because I said things must be done constitutionally. I will always continue to satisfy my conscience. From now on, I want to concentrate on the development of Rivers State”, Governor Wike added.